IF YOUR FREEZER IS STOCKED FULL OF VENISON LIKE OURS, THIS MEATLOAF IS A PERFECT WEEKNIGHT DINNER! THIS IS OUR FAVORITE VENISON MEATLOAF RECIPE, AND IT COMES TOGETHER IN UNDER AN HOUR!
This venison recipe is in collaboration with my friend Ally, creator of the blog and YouTube channel Tjoelker Family Farm Be sure to check out her grilled sloppy joes that she is sharing! I know you will love all of her other recipes as well!
Meatloaf is one of those dishes that never looks very pretty in photos, but tastes oh so good! My husband gets excited every time he sees meatloaf on our weekly menu. He swears that it is his favorite meal that I make!
A friend shared her meatloaf recipe with me several years back. Since then, I have tweaked and adapted the meatloaf to its current state made with venison, sourdough crackers, and delicious cheese! Of course, ground beef or turkey works great too!
Before becoming a sourdough lover, I used regular saltine crackers to make this meatloaf. However, if you have access to a sourdough starter, I highly recommend making sourdough crackers to add to this meatloaf! It adds a whole new level of deliciousness to this dish! The super easy recipe for sourdough crackers will be included below!
how to make Sourdough Crackers
Sourdough crackers could not be any easier to make! I love using sourdough in most of my recipes for the benefits from the fermented grains.
If you have a sourdough starter, these crackers are a breeze to whip up. If not, you can use any crackers you have in the pantry. The meatloaf is delicious either way!
I usually try to make these ahead of time so I’m not trying to make crackers the same time as the meatloaf, since they do have a longer baking time. Sourdough crackers will keep in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.
- 1.5 cups sourdough starter discard
- 1/3 cup butter ,melted and cooled
- 1 TBSP dried herbs of choice
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degree and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt and cool the butter. Make sure the butter does not re-harden but if it’s too warm, your crackers will turn out like crisps rather than crackers.
- Combine butter, herbs, and salt with the starter and combine well.
- Using a spatula or rolling pin, spread the mixture onto the parchment paper about 1/8 inch thick.
- Bake for approx 30 minutes.
- Remove and cut them into cracker shapes with a cutter. Or, you can bake them and just crumble them into your meatloaf.
- Bake for another 30 minutes and let cool.
I add these crackers to our favorite venison meatloaf recipe by simply crumbling them into the meat mixture.
our favorite venison meatloaf recipe
- 1 lb ground venison ,substitute beef or turkey
- 1 cup sourdough crackers ,substitute any crackers
- 1 cup spinach ,finely chopped
- 1/2 onion ,finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- 1-2 TBSP ketchup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2-1 cup cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients with hands and form into loaf pan.
- To keep from dripping into your oven, place loaf pan inside baking dish and bake for 40-50 minutes or until bubbly and cooked throughout.
- During the last 10 minutes of baking, remove and add a thin layer of ketchup.
More recipes you’ll love from the harris homestead
If you want to make sourdough crackers for the meatloaf, you’ll need a starter– check out this post for more info! How to Make and Maintain a Sourdough Starter from Scratch
Pin for later
She also has a YouTube video for the recipe!