Learn about my pregnancy safe skin, beauty, and hair products that I have been using throughout my pregnancy! Most all of these products I also use when I am not pregnant. Our skin is our biggest organ so what we lather on it really does matter!
Pregnancy is a time when many mamas begin to rethink all of the foods they eat and the products they have been using. This was definitely the case for me when I found out I was pregnant with my first child. And boy did we start changing our entire world around us after that!
Suddenly, I was vitally aware of everything I was consuming and lathering onto my body. I knew that pregnant mamas had to cut our certain things like copious amounts of caffeine and fish, but I was never aware of the amount of toxins in all of my beauty products!
Why Should Mamas be concerned with THEIR beauty PRODUCTS while pregnant?
I believe that EVERYONE should be concerned with their beauty/hair/skin products, especially with the amount of health issues in our world today. So many of these issues could be greatly lessened if the toxic load on our bodies was lightened.
However, as a pregnant mama, that toxic load is even more dangerous to a developing baby so ingredient labels should be checked very carefully!
Most beauty products are chocked full of many chemicals. These chemicals contain parabens and phthalates, two of the main endocrine disruptors that help to regulate the reproductive system, immune system, metabolism, and thyroid functioning. (Source)
Some products on the market today still contain talc. This is a well-known cancer causing ingredient that should be avoided in ALL products. Many beauty and baby products still contain talc and this could be a detrimental if a developing baby is exposed to this ingredient.
Beauty Products To avoid during PREGNANCY
Here is a list of some of the most concerning ingredients to avoid while pregnant:
- Salicylic Acid
- Benzoyl Peroxide
- synthetic fragrance
- sothiazolinone family
- benzalkonium chloride
- sodium benzoate
- potassium sorbate
- mineral oil
- propylene glycol
- sodium laurel/laureth sulfate
- artificial colorants
- retinyl palmitate
- PEG ingredients
- polysorbate 60 and 80
- polyethylene glycol
My Pregnancy Safe Skin, Beauty, & Hair Products
To save money and avoid becoming overwhelmed by all of the toxic overload in so many beauty products on the market today, I like to keep my beauty routine VERY simple.
I’m talking a 2-3 minute makeup routine, minimal creams and sprays, and a simple oil-based cleanser for my hair and body.
Check out the video below to see my favorite products and why I love them! All products that I mention are linked below!
DIY recipes mentioned in the video
- Essential Oil Toner: In a 4 oz amber spray bottle, mix 1-2 drop of lavender, frankincense, & lemon. Top off the bottle with rose water.
- Essential Oil Skin Roller Bottle: In a 2 oz roller bottle, mix 4 drops frankincense, 3 drops lavender, 2 drops tea tree. Top the bottle with fractionated coconut oil.
- DIY Bronzer: Mix 1 TBSP Cinnamon, 1 TSP Nutmeg, 1 TSP Cocoa Powder, 2 TSP arrowroot powder. 15 drops of essential oil of choice (I like lavender). Adjust measurements to your skin tone. Store in a mini mason jar.
- DIY Dry Shampoo: Arrowroot Powder & Cacao or Cocoa Powder (More or less depending on your hair color)Mix the two powders to your desired shade. My hair is “blonde-ish” and I only use about 1 tsp cacao to ½ cup of arrowroot. Store in glass jar and apply to scalp with an old makeup brush to cover oil or add texture.
Shop My favorite Pregnancy Safe Skin, Beauty, & Hair Products
Aleavia Body Cleanse/Prebiotic Skincare (Hair & Body Cleanser)
Burt’s Bees Baby Nourishing Baby Oil (Stretch Mark Prevention)
Sunny Skin Balm (Sun Care)
More Great RESOURCES mentioned
Dr. Courtney Kahla’s “Why I Quit Using Soap”
Wellness Mama’s Sea Salt Texture Spray
Superfoods to Help your skin and body THRIVE! Use “HarrisHomestead” for $50 off! Our Favorite Nourishing Superfoods
pin for later