These loaded black bean sweet potatoes have the perfect hint of Mexican flair! These are perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner!
We love sweet potatoes in our home and have them in our fridge almost at all times. I like to make a big batch in the instant pot on the weekends to last us through the week. It’s a wonderful meal prepping trick I’ve been doing the last few years!
However, this means we eat them at least 3 times a week so keeping a variety to our sweet potatoes is a must! These loaded black bean sweet potatoes are the perfect way to add some Mexican spice to the typical sweet potato.. and anything Mexican in our home is always a family favorite!
Instant Pot Black Beans
I have used canned black beans in this recipe, but I don’t always keep those stocked in our pantry. What I do always keep stocked are dried beans! Our pantry always stores dried black beans, chickpeas, white beans, quinoa, and lentils in bulk. These are easy to store and even easier to prepare in the Instant Pot.
I like to soak our grains and beans, when possible, and when you buy them canned this is not an option. Soaking beans and grains helps the phytic acid break down, which makes the bean more digestible and the nutrients more easily absorbed by our bodies.
I soaked about 2 cups black beans for approx. 12 hours in a bowl of water then rinsed and drained them. They went into the Instant Pot with 6 cups of water and then pressure cooked for 25 minutes with a 20 minute natural release. These beans can be stored in the fridge for up a few weeks!
How to make loaded black bean sweet potatoes
Loaded Black Bean Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup black beans , cooked
- 1/2 cup quinoa , cooked
- 1/2 onion , sauteed
- 1/2 bell pepper , sauteed
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1-2 limes , juiced
- kale shredded
- Prepare sweet potatoes in Instant Pot. Add potatoes, 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 45 minutes.
- Prepare quinoa in Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of quinoa and 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 1 minute.
- Chop and saute onion and bell pepper in coconut oil.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- On a baking sheet, stuff the sweet potatoes with the filling ingredients.
- Top with shredded cheese and kale.
- Place baking sheet in oven to melt cheese.
- Drizzle with lime juice.
More recipes you’ll love from our homestead